With the updates to the official rules for the Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG rulling, Konami will be adding these to Duel Links as well.
Here are the details:
1. Monster effects that are triggered when the monster leaves the field.
Monsters effects with the text “when/if this card leaves the field” will/can activate when said monster is sent from the field to the Extra Deck.
Monsters effects with the text “when/if this card leaves the field” will not activate when said monster is sent from the field to the Extra Deck.
- Monsters with the effects that activate when they are sent from the field to the Extra Deck will still activate when they are sent from the field to the Extra Deck.
2. Activation conditions for Trigger Effects
With some exceptions, cards were able to activate their Trigger Effects as long as their activation condition was met, even if they were sent to a different location or a location that is not openly displayed.
Cards can no longer activate their Trigger Effect if it was sent to a different location or a location that is not public knowledge. If the location of a card was moved from where it fulfilled its activation requirement before its effect activates, that effect will/can no longer activate. (if the card text says “when this card is Summoned,” this means it must remain in the Monster Zone until its effect activates. If the card text says “when this card is sent to the Graveyard,” it must be in the Graveyard to activate. If the card text says “when this card is destroyed,” it must be either in the Graveyard or banished.)
- Example 1
If a Flip Effect monster is flipped face-up at Chain Link 2 or higher, and Spellbook of Fate is activated on the same chain link to flip the Flip Effect monster face-down again, the effect of the Flip Effect monster will not activate.
- Example 2
If a Flip Effect monster in Defense Position is attacked by Ehren, Lightsworn Monk its effect will not activate.
- Example 3
If the effect of Black Rose Dragon that destroys and banishes all cards on the field is activated, and you chain Graceful Revival to that effect in order to Special Summon Cyber Petit Angel its effect cannot be activated, because it will not be on the field when the chain resolves.
3. Cards’ conditions that prevent you from Special Summoning with other effects until the end of the turn.
You were unable to Special Summon with other card effects when the Special Summon was negated.
Special Summon restrictions will now be based on the number of times you successfully Special Summoned, rather than the number of time you Special Summoned (if a Special Summon is negated, it is not counted.)
4. Continuous Trap Cards that are treated as monsters when activated
When a Continuous Trap Card that is treated as monster is activated, the Spell & Trap Zone that the card was originally placed cannot be used until that Continuous Trap Card leaves the field.
When a Continuous Trap Card that is treated as monster is activated, the Spell & Trap Zone that the card was originally placed can be used to Set or activate Spell/Trap Cards.
- If Embodiment of Apophis is flipped face-down, it will be set in the player’s Spell & Trap Zone.
- If Embodiment of Apophis is flipped face-down or negated while you have no open spaces in your Spell & Trap Zone, it will be sent to the Graveyard.
- Samurai Destroyer
- If this card is returned to the Extra Deck, such as Ritual Beast Pettlephin, Drowning Mirror Force, or Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier, it will no longer float into a monster from the Graveyard.
Note: This ruling does not mean that chaining Paleozoic Canadia/Elementsaber Molehu/Treacherous Trap Hole etc. to on an on field effect THAT HAS ALREADY ACTIVATED will negate the effect. This effect has still activated, and thus will go through as usual.
- You have Crystron Rion on board and a LV 3 banished.
- Chain Link 1: Opponent summons Black Rose Dragon and activates effect.
- Chain Link 2: You chain Crystron Rion effect to make Powered Inzektron.
- Powered Inzektron effect will no longer activate.
- You have a set Subterror monster.
- Chain Link 1: Opponent uses removal card targeting your set monster.
- Chain Link 2: You chain Subterror Final Battle to Flip the monster face up.
- This monster will no longer get to use its effect.
- You have a set Amaterasu on board.
- Chain Link 1: Opponent uses Blue-Eyes Alternative White Dragon on it whilst it’s face down.
- Chain Link 2: Amaterasu Flips face up due to its effect, you draw a card, and its destroyed.
- You will not get the banishing effect.
Tell us your thoughts on the new Rules Changes in the comments below!