In case you missed it, Clan Wars Season 5 has come to an end! Last week was the Semifinals and Grand Finals with a surprise banslit. Our Last 4 Clans were: 1%, Dark Clan, Destiny Draw and Warufuzake. 4 Clans fighthing each other on epic duels to win the prize of $6,650! You can check all the information, data and reports from this and older seasons here: Clan Wars
And with that we wanted to take some time to talk with our 2nd time Champions of Clan Wars history. So, without futher ado, let’s get started with our interview!
Congratulations on your 2nd time as a Champion, How do you feel?
Fantastic would be an understatement. It felt great to be the first clan to win Clan Wars and now to be the first Clan to win two seasons just feels amazing. We started this clan because we wanted a platform to casually play with some of our friends, it turns out some of our friends are really good at Yugioh.
Anything you would like to share about your Clan?
Unequivocally, one thing we would share about our clan, is that we all support each other and have great cohesion. Every players input is valued, from those who have competed on the world’s stage to the casual competitive player. Every member is deeply involved and valued by the rest of the clan and none more so than our owner NerdChic. We stress him out by deciding our decks 5 minutes before a match and mess with him in the server constantly but we would not be the clan we are without Nerd constantly pushing us and reminding us that we are the best. We are not only clan mates; we are a family and that leads to 1% being the most successful clan in clan wars.
How was your Semifinals against (Dark Clan)?
Could not have been a greater underdog story, anyone who left the stream early certainly thought our playoff run was over in the semifinals. However, this was our season and we knew it. After we beat the unbeaten clan, we knew nothing was going to stop us. We ended up in a bad spot with Jason standing alone against three players but he didn’t make two World Championship Finals appearances by luck and he wasn’t about to go down without a fight. Jason brought it back against all three players and clutched our spot in the finals.
How was your Grand Finals against (Warufuzake)?
Knowing that they would likely plan against our Crystrons, Negative1 decided to switch his deck for Blue-Eyes which proved to be correct when they brought 4 Witchcrafter decks in their lineup. We knew going in that Warufuzake would be a tough clan to predict so we took a risk and brought a lineup we hoped could beat anything they threw at us. We lost round 1 in a close 3-2, with only MVPino winning with his Shiranui and superforms winning the Witchcrafter mirror. For round 2 we knew our lineup was a good call and knew we had gotten unlucky but were confident in our decks. We sent Whilipino to tackle the glass cannon and the rest of us took on the Witchcrafter onslaught and we finished round 2 with a clean 5-0. Round 3 Warufuzake subbed in their second Cyber Dragon deck and managed to secure the initial win with all three Witchcrafter decks eliminating Whilipino, superforms and Jason however, Jonesy9027 and Negative1 were able to stay alive and eliminate both Cyber Dragon decks. What came next was the final elimination where Warufuzake chose which decks to throw at our remaining players. Jonesy9027 and Negative1 both won and brought it back to 2-1 with only King Halo left to defeat. King Halo defeated Jonesy9027 and it came down to the last man for both clans with the title on the line. In the final round, Negative1 defeated King Halo 2-0 securing the win for his clan and showcased his deck’s ease in the Witchcrafter matchup.
How did it feel playing in a just released banlist?
One thing we want to highlight is the thrill and terror we awoke to. Waking up to a banlist is a great felling, especially in a meta as stale as this one has become. Waking up to a banlist a few hours before you play in the final matches of a league you have worked for eight weeks in is nothing less than heart stopping. The night was spent testing and preparing for all possible outcomes and we went to bed with a solid plan and thought we were ready for anything. We woke up to several notifications of a banlist and knew our entire strategy needed to be reevaluated. Some of our members had work so they stayed in the conversation as best they could as we planned and rebuilt our lineup. We quickly realized that Shiranui, Dark Magician, and Crystrons were still great decks and there were minimal changes to the meta overall. We looked at what our opponents were likely to bring and built decks we thought could outlast them.
Any comment on your decks choices?
From when we first saw the banlist, we made a quick assessment of the meta impacts and decided that our lineup for the semifinals would only require slight changes and we would wait for the outcome of the other semifinals match to decide our finals lineup. Our decks worked and got us through to the finals. For the finals we expected them to bring Witchcrafters, not a lineup of four WC but we expected some and built our decks to beat them. Our sub was Deadfun with Dark Magician and we did not sub him in because we knew that when we won he would be a free win for their Cyber Dragon deck and we did not want to give them any free wins. Since we faced so many Witchcrafters, several players had some dead side deck cards but having built our decks for this matchup we were able to secure the win.
Can you share your overall experience for Season 5?
- First of all, I only joined clan wars so that people would stop bothering me about joining their clan. Second, I like crystrons so I played crystrons. Third, shout outs to blue eyes and Chris for the help in finals. – Negative1
- Season 5 was great! Played against a lot of friends and strong teams. It feels good to have won clan wars in my 2nd season of playing. – EmAyy
- I am here to cheer from the bench and go 0-3 on my way to getting carried in the playoffs. – Insano
- Season 5 was a lot of fun, I have been busy and inactive in Clan Wars with 1% since the season 1 win. It feels great to win Clan Wars again right after coming back. We got to play against the best players in the world and had a blast while doing it. – Jonesy9027
- Season 5 was really fun. Apologies to SEM for mis-siding and not noticing it until the end of game 3. Sometimes you’re just in the zone and not paying attention to your deck count, which I usually always play 20. GGs to everyone who played and going to try hard to be the first clan to win it 3 times. - Jason
- Thank God being a Saber slave paid off. Thanks to my team for carrying my ass even when I only played that terrible deck. Overall season 5 was a ton of fun and reminded me why I love card games. Special thanks to Nerd for being the salsa of this weird pasta family (pun intended). Hope you are all prepared because the only thing better than 2 times… Is 3 times. - Hextor
- Terry here, the best benchwarmer in the game! For real though, this season was a blast, and now that I’ve finally got my internet problems sorted out, hope I can finally see some action. Here’s to more amazing seasons! - Dulling
- This season was definitely a roller-coaster. A couple really low moments like the loss to M.Y and the war I got Necrovalley FTK’d almost every single duel. But then a lot of really high moments as well, like enjoying Whilipino’s MVP run (MVPino!), watching Jason carry us through the semi-finals, and cheering Jonesy9027’s return to competitive play after coming back from the military. It’s amazing to be on a team like this with so many friends and incredible players. Shoutouts to every non-1% member of Tz, especially Chris., for support throughout the season and helping us do our emergency testing/lineup adjustments after the banlist dropped.- superforms
- Leading this group of amazing people is a blast, they quickly became a second family to me. Creating the 1% Clan is one of the things I’m most proud of, being able to show everyone (once again) how powerful we really are truly means a lot. Expect more from us. We’re not done yet. 1% of the community providing 99% of the revenue. - NerdChic
Any feedback/changes you would like to share for Clan Wars?
Having rules clearly laid out will make things less chaotic. Every season comes with new challenges and this season started with a lot of confusion.
Any Additional Comment/Shoutouts you would like to share?
Usually, clans don’t get congratulations or support until after their victory, that was not the case with us. A huge shoutout to our friends and fans, we got flooded with support during the playoffs and that means the world to us. To our opponents this season, thank you for giving us your all and forcing us to improve. Every war, loss or win taught us something and made us stronger. To our family in the unspoken league Tier Zero we want to give a special shoutout, we wouldn’t have gotten this far without you guys helping test and making us better every day. To haru, we won Clan Wars, come back.
That’s all we got for this Week! What kind of questions should we be asking in the future? Comment down below!