This is the 29th Mini Box and was released on August 31st, 2020. Arena of Sanctuary introduces the Valkyrie and Trickstar decktypes and adding support for Karakuri, Triamid, Scrap, Watt, and Arcana Force decktypes.
We have support for Karakuri deck being Karakuri Cash Inn and Karakuri Bonze mdl 9763 “Kunamzan”. With Kunamzan’s effect of being a Tuner by targeting a Karakuri and special summon from hand, Karakuri Merchant mdl 177 “Inashichi” becomes 1-card synchro into Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 “Burei”. Unfortunately this locks you into summoning EARTH Machine-Type monsters from the Extra Deck. Cash Inn is Forbidden Chalice for Karakuri (searchable with Merchant) and can switch a monster’s position. Remind you that the GY effect and the Field effect can be used at the same turn!
Personally, Karakuri is a good deck, and is better with this box. Sadly, the archetypal cards don’t have many ways to play through flippers and put high pressure.
You can swarm using Valkyrie Sigrun to send a faceup Spell/Trap card (most likely will be a Field Spell through a Skill) to summon herself and another Valkyrie from hand or GY. Valkyrie Dritte when summoned can add any Valkyrie cards from your Deck, Valkyrie Vierte can add one Normal Spell / Trap among the Top X cards in your deck (where X is the number of other Valkyries). Valkyrie Zweite when summoned can destroy a monster, and Valkyrie’s Embrace can banish one of your opponent’s monster by switching an Attack Position Valkyrie to Defense Position. Valkyrie Sechste can Special Summon a Valkyrie from Deck if it is Special Summoned. There’s other support too, but the most meta-relevant is Apple of Enlightenment.
I have doubts about this deck, because it doesn’t have much follow-up, and if you pop the Field Spell, you basically stop Valkyrie spamming.
- Trishula, the Dragon of Icy Imprisonment: Wrong Trish, we want the Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
- Exploder Dragonwing: Why makes this over Black Rose Dragon / Samurai Destroyer
- Arcana Force EX - The Dark Ruler: nor Arcana Force XXI - The World
- Triamid Sphinx: Main boss for Triamid, easily be summoned when a Triamid is destroyed or using Triamid Kingolem’s GY effect. Doesn’t do anything except provide boosts and drag all attacks to itself
- Nova Summoner: Too Slow
- Scrapyard: Doesn’t have good search targets
- Combination Attack: Unions in 2020
- Karma Cut: Probably the best card in this goddamn bait box
- Karma Cut: We all know the power of this card. Very good in the current meta and a great staple for upcoming formats as well. If you do not have your copies, this is your chance to complete your playset or get the card as a 2-of which is still very beneficial for a lot of decks (Invoked Neos, Dark Magician, etc).
- Trishula, the Dragon of Icy Imprisonment very lackluster compared to the other Trishula of course, also it only reaches its full potential in a Dragon deck. However, there may be a format where its effect is super useful (like it was in the summer of 2019 in the TCG, banishing Knightmare Mermaid from the extra deck) so I suggest picking up 1 copy like with almost all the generic Extra Deck cards.
- Exploder Dragonwing: Decent effect, non-targeting removal for a Level 7 Synchro, which is the best Level a synchro can be in Duel Links. Not so generic as it requires a Dragon-Type non-Tuner. Still, I suggest picking up a copy, the card is potent.
Valkyries: The deck has monsters that do some of the basics of Duel Links (summoning from the deck, adding in-archetype cards from your deck to your hand, popping monsters, etc.), while also having the potential of a beatdown deck with Valkyrie Erda. Valkyrie Sigrun provides some level of recovery, and synergizes well with cards like Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen. Valkyrie Brunhilde is the card that provides battle protection while the ATK gaining effect enables more Beatdown. However, the Spells / Traps cannot be searched by Valkyrie Dritte and only Valkyrie Vierte can add them, but that is super random.
Karakuri: They get three new cards. Karakuri Bonze mdl 9763 “Kunamzan” is a decent extender, meaning that the Karakuri Merchant mdl 177 “Inashichi” is a one-card Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 “Burei” now, plus it changes battle position which synergizes well with Karakuri Anatomy. No need to open Karakuri Komachi mdl 224 “Ninishi” anymore. Level Augmentation isn’t necessary as a skill anymore even though it is still a decent pick. Karakuri Cash Inn is super potent, as it’s searchable, negates effects, and changes the battle position of your monster. The Graveyard effect is also very good and can be used in he same turn. I can already imagine this card being a huge problem for Witchcrafter. Karakuri Gama Oil is an ATK-boosting Equip Spell but I do not think it is necessary. May see testing though.
If there’s any reason to go into this Box it is for Karma Cut! I, however, am excited Triamid Sphinx however Triamids have three decks to face-off with in the form of Witchcrafters, Invoked Neos, and Blackwings, all decks that come with backrow hate and monster negates. They might also have a difficult time using the good ol’ Balance Skill due to their boss monster interfering with their opening hand. He is dead if you have no way to send Triamid Kingolem to the GY. At best, Triamid are Tier 3, but still I am very excited to play them!
Tell us your own thoughts on the Box in the comments below! The best quality review/first impression will be featured on the site!